In this tutorial, you will learn how to join a zoom meeting.
WHAT IS ZOOM?
Zoom is an online video conferencing platform that permits people to do live video calls. It also has special features like screen sharing capabilities and other tools necessary for online meetings.
WHICH DEVICE DO I NEED TO PARTICIPATE IN AN ONLINE ZOOM MEETING?
You need either a smartphone, which you already have, or a laptop or desktop computer. Your device should have an internet network connection (at least 3G network recommended).
If you can join the zoom meeting from your computer, this will be great as you will be able to have a better experience on the platform than with a mobile phone.
HOW TO JOIN A ZOOM MEETING?
The host of the zoom meeting will usually create a zoom meeting link and password and share them with you through email or other chat platforms such as WhatsApp or Messenger.
To join the meeting, simply click on the link provided by the Host at the scheduled meeting time. This will let you in the meeting room where you can start participating.
In some cases, zoom might ask you to create an account when joining a meeting for the first time. This account creation process will usually be very simple and straightforward, requiring your name, email, and any password you choose.
In case you are not let in to the meeting after the account creation, simply go back and click on the meeting link again.
HOW DO I PARTICIPATE IN THE ZOOM MEETING?
When you are joining a zoom meeting, you will be given a prompt to turn on your device video and audio. You should turn on your audio so that when you speak, others can hear what you’re saying. Also turn on your video so that others can see you.
Once in the zoom meeting, you will be able to hear what other participants are saying and also be able to speak when the appropriate time comes.
SOME KEY FEATURES OF ZOOM TO TAKE NOTE OF
- MICROPHONE: This is represented by the microphone icon🎙️
- VIDEO: this is represented by the video icon📽️
- SCREEN SHARING: This is represented by the screen sharing icon which is an arrow pointing upwards 📤
- CHAT: This is represented by a message bubble icon 🗨️
TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING WHEN IN A ZOOM MEETING
- If you are in a noisy place, mute your microphone by clicking on the Microphone icon so that you do not distract others.
- Also, if distracting activities are going on in your background, you can temporarily switch off your video by clicking on the video icon to avoid distracting others.
- Screen sharing: this feature will permit others to see what is displayed on your screen. To share your screen with others, simply click on the screen sharing icon, select the screen to share and then click on share.
- Chat: During a zoom meeting, some important messages, updates and links might be shared through the chat. Always check the chat frequently during the meeting in order to stay updated on what is going on. You can visit the chat simply by clicking on the chat icon.
- Remember to turn on your audio using the microphone icon whenever you want to speak so that others can hear you.
- Also, always look out for any sign language that someone on the screen is using because at times, you might be speaking when your microphone is off and others cannot hear you. Sign language becomes what they used to get your attention.
TIPS FOR A GREAT ZOOM MEETING EXPERIENCE
- Dress well for a zoom meeting as you would a physical meeting. This is because people will judge your dressing during a zoom meeting as they would during physical meetings.
- Avoid a noisy or lousy background. This will ensure that you don’t become a distraction.
- Sit straight on a chair in front of a table. You can rest your phone on the table and support it with things like books or a tripod so that holding it with your hands for long doesn’t stress you. Ensure that the top part of your body from the chest level to the top of your head is in the view of your camera. Avoid attending zoom meetings while laying on a couch or on a bed.
- Your zoom name should be a nice name that speaks well of you.
- To ensure that you have a stable internet connection, you can use a 3G or 4G internet Wi-Fi modem if you have one or can afford one.
- Make sure your environment is well-lighted so that others can see your video clearly.
- It is recommended that you leave your video turned on throughout the meeting. This assures others that you have nothing to hide from them. Only turn off your video if your background is very distracting.
- Ask the host of the meeting for help when there is a feature of zoom that you want to use but don’t understand. Don’t feel shy doing so, for learning never ends.
- Show up early for the zoom meeting and apologize if you are unavoidably late or absent.
- Above all, take a zoom meeting as serious as you would a one-on-one meeting. A zoom meeting is just as natural as a one-on-one meeting. Just that it is powered by technology.
Written by Njofie Wilson